Hotel Locanda Vivaldi was inaugurated at the end of 1999, after a painstaking and long restructuring work on this beautiful building, adjacent to the Church of Pietà. Here used to live the composer Antonio Vivaldi, who in 1703 was ordained priest and also started to work as a violin teacher in the Pietà conservatory, where he remained until 1740.
After only six months of priesthood, Vivaldi decided to no longer celebrate mass even if he keeped on his cassock. He was nicknamed as "the Red Priest" and Goldoni explained that he was called so because of his fire-red hair colour. According to other resource, this name was given him because of his permanence at the Pietà Institute, where the “daughters” of this hospice, his pupils, used to wear scarlet colour.